And here comes another home cooked side straight from my mother’s kitchen! Beets are one of my all time favorite foods (not just vegetables… foods) and I am always looking for different ways to eat them. Here, my mom has adapted a salad from a cookbook, adding her own flavors and zings. Enjoy!
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese (adapted from “Cod and Country” by Barton Seaver)
- 2 lbs. red or golden beets, stems and greens removed
- Lettuce leaves of your choice, about 1/4 head
- 1 bunch Italian parsley leaves
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 bunches scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Chile Oil or Citrus Oil (recipes follow)
- Juice of one lemon
- 6 oz goat cheese of your choice
- In heavily salted water, simmer the beets whole until soft, about 35 minutes.
- Drain the beets.
- While the beets are still fairly warm and using paper towels, gently rub the skins off the beets.
- Slice the beets into 1/2 inch rounds and arrange over lettuce leaves.
- Scatter parsley leaves, apple slices and scallions over top.
- Drizzle with Chile or Citrus Oil.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and crumble goat cheese over all before serving.