Here is a recipe that my mom made over the holidays. It is often hard to find soup that is gluten and dairy free, but she did it! It was a great appetizer to our holiday meal, and served as great leftovers whenever we wanted a snack later on in the week. I know that it looks long, but well worth the effort! My mom and I were amazed at the idea to grind up dried mushrooms and use them as a spice in the soup..genius!
Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
(adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
- ½ oz dried shiitake mushrooms, rinsed
- 4 ¼ cups water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup wild rice
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 lb cremini or white mushrooms, trimmed & sliced ¼ “ thick
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup coconut creamer
- ¼ cup chives, minced
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grind dried mushrooms in spice grinder or coffee bean grinder to a powder, or reconstitute in ¼ cup warm water until soft and finely mince.
- Bring 4 cups water, thyme sprig, bay leaf, peeled garlic clove, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon baking soda to a boil in medium saucepan.
- Add wild rice and return to boil. Cover and place in oven.
- Bake until tender, @45 minutes.
- Strain rice through fine mesh strainer set in 4 cup measuring cup. Discard thyme sprig, bay leaf and garlic. Add enough water to strained liquid to measure 3 cups.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven. Add cremini or white mushrooms, onion, minced garlic, tomato paste, ¾ teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook until vegetables are browned, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add sherry, scraping up browned frond on bottom of pot.
- Cook until almost reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add ground or reconstituted shiitake mushrooms, reserved rice liquid, chicken broth and soy sauce.
- Bring to boil, and then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until mushrooms and onions are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch and ¼ cup water in small bowl.
- Stir cornstarch into soup.
- Simmer soup until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, stir in rice, coconut creamer, chives, lemon zest and salt&pepper to taste.
- Cover and let stand 20 minutes before serving.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!