Last week I ventured out to my local farmer’s market to support my local community. I bought a few tomatoes, zucchini, and some strawberries. This week, the zucchinis were looking a little sad, so I made fried zucchini sticks… crusted in pecans… and dipped in homemade lemon aioli. Super delicious combination!
Pecan Fried Zucchini with Lemon Aioli
- 2 zucchini
- one bottle vegetable oil
- one cup pecan meal (or just finely chop pecans in the mini chop)
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tbsp. mayo (or vegan alternative)
- one half tsp. finely chopped garlic
- the juice of one half of a lemon
- one tsp. lemon zest
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Fill a deep pan with the oil and put over high heat. (Don’t worry… it doesn’t all get absorbed!)
- Cut the zucchini into sticks, about a half inch wide and two inches long.
- Put the egg whites and pecan meal into separate bowls.
- When the oil starts to simmer, dip each zucchini stick into the egg whites and then the pecan meal. Then drop it into the oil.
- Do about 6-7 sticks at a time, let them simmer in the oil about 10 seconds, then take them out with a slotted spoon and let cool on a paper towel. Repeat with another 6-7 sticks. You might want to use new oil halfway through because it starts to get dark, personal preference.
- When all the zucchini are fried, make the aioli. Combine the mayo, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve the zucchini hot with the aioli dipping sauce.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!