Part of my cultural background is Polish, and I love it when my mother cooks Kielbasa sausage on a weekend morning. So why not have it for lunch or dinner, too? This is a spicy pasta salad that combines the classic summer flavors of sausage, peppers, and onion. Hope you enjoy, as I have been this week!
Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Pasta Salad with Horseradish Dressing
- one kielbasa sausage link
- one read pepper
- one yellow pepper
- one half of a sweet onion
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for sauteing
- your favorite gluten free pasta (I used one half of a box/bag)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for the dressing
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 tbsp. horseradish mustard (or 1 tbsp. horseradish and 2 tsp. Dijon mustard)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 3 tsbp. chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Chop the peppers and onions into bite sized pieces.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté the peppers and onions in olive oil and salt and pepper until cooked (not crisp anymore).
- Cut the kielbasa lengthwise down the middle and then into bite sized pieces.
- In another large sauté pan, cook the kielbasa until cooked through and a little charred around the edges. (I didn’t use oil because the kielbasa has fat on it that should help it to sauté nicely)
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked and drained pasta, peppers, onions, and kielbasa.
- To make the dressing, put the olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon pepper, thyme, mustard, and honey in a dressing shaker or bowl and shake/stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and stir to combine.
- Dress with chopped parsley.
- Enjoy hot or cold!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!