I had a request for a quinoa recipe the other day… so I found some salmon on sale at the store, some quinoa in my cupboard, and some pots and pans on the stove! Quinoa is a great grain, boasting high fiber and protein… 6 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber in a quarter cup dry serving. It’s a great gluten free alternative… especially when rice is getting boring.
Buttered Salmon over Lemon Quinoa
- one cup dry quinoa grain
- 2 salmon steaks, boneless
- 3 cups mushrooms
- one half bunch asparagus stalks, rough ends cut off
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- one half cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 4 dill stalks, or about 2 tbsp. chopped dill
- one half cup water
- salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan, cook the quinoa according to package directions. (It is about 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water… bring the water to a boil, add the quinoa, cover, and let simmer until the water is absorbed.)
- While the quinoa is cooking, saute the mushrooms and asparagus in the olive oil and salt and pepper. Saute them on medium heat until tender. Add one quarter cup water if needed.
- While the veggies and quinoa are cooking, saute the salmon. Put the butter in a saute pan, and melt over medium heat. Place the salmon steaks skin side up. Add the dill and lemon juice.
- Let the salmon cook about 5-7 minutes. Add one quarter cup water if the pan gets dry. Heat until cooked through.
- Add the lemon zest and a dash of salt and pepper to the quinoa. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve the quinoa on a plate, topping with the asparagus, mushrooms, and salmon on top.
- Enjoy hot!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!