Each Sunday, I think of something to make for my lunches during the week. I try to find a good mix of protein, carbs, and also something a little more fun than just a sandwich on gluten free bread (although those weeks certainly do happen!). This week, I made a sweet tofu stir fry with fall vegetables. It is delicious, and people are constantly asking me what smells so good in the microwave at school! If you don’t like tofu, this recipe could easily be used with chicken.
Sweetened Squash and Tofu Stir Fry
- one container pre- cut butternut squash (or one squash you peel and cut up yourself into one inch cubes)
- 2 zucchini, cut into rounds
- 2 yellow squash, cut into rounds
- one block firm tofu, drained and dried
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Cut the tofu block into one half inch by one half inch cubes. Lay the cubes between two dish towels and let dry for a couple hours.
- In a large saute pan, add the butternut squash cubes and cooking spray.
- Over medium- high heat, let the butternut squash saute for 5 minutes. Stir every minute or so.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash rounds.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir the veggies every couple minutes.
- When the veggies start to soften, add the dried tofu cubes.
- Season with cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, honey, and brown sugar.
- Continue stirring every couple minutes until the veggies are fork tender.
- Serve hot by itself or over rice, quinoa, or your favorite grain.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
With the spring weather coming (or already here?), you can start to see the increase in vibrantly colored vegetables available. To someone who’s diet is half fruits and vegetables, this excites me! So this week I made full use of the vegetable section at the grocery store, and made a healthy, vegetarian, and pumped up pasta primavera.
Pumped Up Pasta Primavera
- 2 zucchini, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 yellow squash, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 red pepper, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 handfuls green beans, ends cut off and beans cut in half
- 1 package chopped mushrooms
- 2 handfuls snap peas, ends cut off
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 large basil leaves
- juice of one half of a lemon, plus a little rind
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. lemon pepper
- half package of gluten free pasta
- 3 tbsp. vegan butter
- 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute the chopped zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, and green beans with olive oil, sea salt, lemon pepper, and lemon juice.
- Saute until barely tender (about 7 minutes), stirring every few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, snap peas, lemon rind, rosemary, and basil.
- Saute for another 5 minutes, until vegetables are crisp but tender. Remove the rosemary and basil when done cooking.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
- When the pasta is done and drained, put it back in the pan with the butter and parsley. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add the vegetables and stir until combined.
- Serve hot, with chopped chives and salt and pepper on top.
I love this recipe because there are so many variations and you can really make it your own… choose your favorite vegetables, spices, protein sources. Hope you enjoy!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!