I am slightly obsessed with a broccoli salad they make at my Whole Foods. It’s crunchy, sweet, and creamy all at the same time. Instead of going to Whole Foods daily to get some, I tried my own version. In this recipe, I steamed the broccoli, but next time I think I would leave it raw. My version didn’t have the same crunch, and I think it’s because I cooked the broccoli. I’ll let you know next time how it comes out.
Bacon and Cherry Broccoli
- two heads of broccoli
- 5-6 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- one cup dried cherries
- 4 tbsp. (vegan) mayo
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- one quarter of a red onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Chop the broccoli so the stems are removed and only small heads remain. They should be bite sized heads.
- Slice the bacon into small bite sized pieces. Saute the bacon over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Chop the red onion into very small, fine pieces.
- Add the olive oil and red onion to the bacon and sauté another 3-4 minutes, until the red onion starts to soften.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, bacon, onion, and cherries.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayo, red wine vinegar, and thyme. Combine well.
- Pour the mayo mixture over the broccoli mixture and toss to combine.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!