While the winds were whipping and the rain was coming down, I couldn’t think of a better meal than homemade beef stew. It was warm, cozy, and smelled delicious as it cooked in the crockpot all day, while I kept my fingers crossed that the power wouldn’t go out!
- 1 lb. beef tenderloin, cut into one inch cubes
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 4 celery stalks, cut into small pieces
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, cut into one inch cubes
- 2 apples, peeled and cut into one inch cubes
- one quarter cup chopped parsley
- one quarter cup chopped rosemary
- 1 cup red wine
- one half cup apple cider vinegar
- Layer all ingredients in a crockpot.
- Cook on high heat for 4.5 hours.
- Stir every hour to mix the ingredients.
- Serve hot.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
First, I want to congratulate Cynthia for her healthy tip for SlimKicker! SlimKicker enjoyed your challenge of limiting internet use to work time in order to promote activity in the evenings, and they would like to thank you. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your slow cooker prize! Thanks to everyone for your healthy ideas… I have some new summer challenges.
On another note… summer just begs for a nice cool cocktail, and my recent favorite has been Sangria. I love making Sangria because you can be really creative with the fruits and flavors. And, wine is gluten free!
Here are two of my recent Sangria creations, both using the fresh taste of ginger. One is red and one is white, and both serve about 6 adults.
Raspberry Ginger Sangria
In a large pitcher, add:
- one bottle red table wine
- 3 shots raspberry vodka
- 24 ounces of ginger ale
- 2 shots of apricot brandy
- garnish with raspberry ice cubes
Ginger Peach Sangria
In a large pitcher, add:
- one bottle white table wine
- 4 shots apricot brandy
- 8 ounces ginger ale
- 16 ounces peach seltzer
- garnish with fresh peach slices
Happy Allergy Free Drinking!
Fall is the time to bring out the crock pot! I love coming home to a meal cooking in the crock pot… the savory smells, the prep work that was already done, and the knowing that a hot meal is only minutes away. Here is my hearty beef stew that is perfect for a cool fall night…
Potato Potato Beef Stew
- 1 lb. small white potatoes, cut into bite size pieces (quartered)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 parsnips, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- one half cup chopped onion
- 2 cans garlic and onion canned tomatoes, drained
- 2 lbs. sirloin meat tips
- one half cup red wine
- one half cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp. chopped rosemary, thyme, parsley
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic salt and pepper
- Put all pieces in the crockpot and heat on low for 5-5.5 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve hot!
And after a day of cooking with just a little heat and time…
Ready to eat!
Happy Allergy Free Eating… and stewing!