One of my favorite vegetables is the beet. I think it is the woody taste that I love; it just tastes so hearty. This week, I roasted my own beets and made a goat cheese, beet, and sunflower seed salad. The sunflowers added a nice taste and texture, as did the honey dijon vinaigrette I made. A great fall lunch! Note: This recipe makes four salads!
Goat Cheese, Beet, and Sunflower Salad
- 4 beets, either red or yellow
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- one half cup sunflower seeds
- 8 tbsp. goat cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- Peel the skin off the beets and slice them into rounds.
- On a cookie sheet, place the beet rounds and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the beets at 375 for about 45 minutes, until soft.
- Wash and dry the spinach.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Shake or stir well to combine.
- In a large bowl, place spinach leaves and top with roasted beets, 2 tbsp. goat cheese, one eighth of a cup of sunflower seeds. Dress with the vinaigrette.
- Enjoy cold!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!