While thinking of new fresh summer veggie combinations, I started cooking with corn and roasted red pepper. I really love the combination! It is so much cheaper to roast your own red pepper than buying the jarred kind… and really easy. This week, I roasted my own red peppers, chopped them up, added them to some frozen corn, and came up with three great side dishes!
To roast red peppers:
- Cut the red peppers lengthwise, into fourths. That is, cut around the core.
- Lay each slice on a cookie sheet, with the skin facing up.
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil, or mist with olive oil.
- Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes, until the edges begin to char.
- Let them cool, then peel off the skin with your fingers. It should peel off easily.
Using the freshly roasted red peppers, I chopped them into small bit sized pieces. I then added the red pepper pieces to a bag of frozen corn, in a large pan. Heat over medium for about 20 minutes, until the corn thaws and heats.
Add your favorite add ins, and you have a great summer salad!
Corn and red pepper with goat cheese and dill.
Corn and red pepper with avocado and chick peas.
Corn and red pepper with spicy cajun sausage.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!