I love finding new spices and flavors for food, and often buy new spice combinations to try. I have a bottle of “CocoLoco” chicken marinade that includes some spicy island flavors and is dairy free. When I read the ingredient list, I realized that I could put my own loco combination of flavors together and make a similar marinade! The bottled marinade is very spicy, but if you make it yourself, you can really tailor to spice and flavor level to your own personal taste.
Coco Crazy Chicken
- one half can coconut milk
- one half cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- juice of one half of a lemon
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 chicken breasts
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Set aside a small portion of the sauce to pour over cooked chicken. Using the remaining sauce, marinate the chicken breast for at least an hour.
- In a baking pan, bake the marinated chicken at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until done.
- Pour reserved sauce (not used to marinate) over the chicken and serve!
My sauce wasn’t as thick as the bottled marinade… something to improve for next time!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!