On busy days, I sometimes just feel like a good and simple homecooked meal. With my mom visiting recently, she made my new house’s kitchen a real home by cooking good old fashioned meat sauce over pasta. I love the veggies in it!
Mama’s Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey (or ground chicken or ground beef)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes, drained, or tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup soy milk or soy creamer
- 4 or 5 chopped basil leaves or 2 tsp. dried basil
- generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pasta water from cooked pasta
- 1 lb. corn pasta of choice, cooked al dente
- In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion slices and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add wine and cook until wine is evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, red pepper flakes and salt/pepper.
- Add soy milk and cook until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Add pasta water if needed to thin sauce.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!