September 6, 2012 · 5:58 pm
In an attempt to continue to eat healthy despite the busy schedule of fall, I spent a lot of time in the produce section of the grocery store this week. I bought a large eggplant. I wasn’t exactly sure why, but I thought it would come in handy. When I got home, I realized that I had some corn pasta and canned tomatoes in the cupboard, as well as some fresh basil in the front yard. So, I made a mish mosh of recipes!
I cooked the corn pasta, made a quick tomato sauce, and sliced the eggplant to make crispy eggplant (oh, how I love this recipe!). I served the pasta and sauce over the crispy eggplant for a perfect week night meal!
To make a quick tomato sauce… in a deep roasting pan, I put:
- 1 large can san marzano crushed tomatoes
- one half of a shallot, diced
- generous seasoning of salt and pepper
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- one half cup coconut creamer (optional)
I then put the roasting pan in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes until heated through. This recipe is similar to Mama’s Meat Sauce, and almost as tasty! You could certainly use Mama’s Meat Sauce over the corn pasta and eggplant for a heartier meal.
Serve the corn pasta, crispy eggplant, and homemade sauce for a great recipe roll over meal.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
July 22, 2012 · 6:57 pm
On busy days, I sometimes just feel like a good and simple homecooked meal. With my mom visiting recently, she made my new house’s kitchen a real home by cooking good old fashioned meat sauce over pasta. I love the veggies in it!
Mama’s Meat Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey (or ground chicken or ground beef)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes, drained, or tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup soy milk or soy creamer
- 4 or 5 chopped basil leaves or 2 tsp. dried basil
- generous pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup pasta water from cooked pasta
- 1 lb. corn pasta of choice, cooked al dente
- In large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion slices and cook until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrot and celery and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add wine and cook until wine is evaporated.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, red pepper flakes and salt/pepper.
- Add soy milk and cook until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Add pasta water if needed to thin sauce.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
Filed under Recipes
Tagged as corn pasta, meat, sauce