I have a tendency to buy too much food at the supermarket… sometimes I have visions of meals that just never get made or sometimes I buy items that are on sale. I decided to make dinner this week with what was already in my fridge. I found some goat cheese, chicken tenders, an orange, and some almonds. Random ingredients, but perfect for Honey Orange Chicken with a side of Goat Cheese Peas. I was stunned at how quick and easy it was to make!
Honey Orange Chicken
- one package of chicken tenders, about 1 pound
- juice of one orange
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 2 tsp. “camp mix”- a blend of garlic salt, pepper, and celery seed
- In a greased cast iron skillet, put the chicken tenders over medium heat.
- Smother them with half of the orange juice and half of the honey.
- Sprinkle half of the seasonings on top.
- After about 4 minutes, turn the chicken tenders over and smother them with the other half of the juice, honey, and seasonings.
- After another 4 minutes, flip one more time and let cook until cooked through.
(Afterwards, I also thought you could serve with some craisins on top!)
Goat Cheese Peas
- one bag of frozen peas
- one quarter cup of water
- one half cup sliced almonds
- 3 tbsp. goat cheese
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- In a large sauce pan, pour the peas and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them.
- While the peas are cooking, spread the almonds over a saute pan.
- Heat the almonds on low heat for about 4 minutes, just until they toast. Be careful they don’t burn.
- Toss the peas with the almonds.
- Serve with the goat cheese and parsley on top.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!