I recently received a complimentary copy of “Everyday Gluten- Free Slow Cooking.” I was not only enticed by the title, but also by the variety of recipes that have dairy free versions. Bonus! I am sure there will be many recipes that I will make from this delicious cookbook! The first one I tried was “Cashew Chicken.” Cashew Chicken used to be my staple dish in a chinese restaurant, so I was particularly intrigued by how to make it gluten free, and in the slow cooker!
From “Everyday Gluten- Free Slow Cooking” by Kimberly Mayone and Kitty Broihier:
- one half of an onion, chopped
- one half cup gluten free chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos (I actually used apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- one half tsp. salt
- one half tsp. ground ginger
- one quarter tsp. red pepper flakes
- one and one half pounds chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- one half package snow peas
- 1 orange pepper, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 scallions, chopped
- one half cup salted cashews
- Stir together the first 10 ingredients (onion through red pepper) in the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken thighs (I put them in whole, but you can chop them into pieces too).
- Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Add the snow peas and peppers and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Serve by spooning the chicken mixture over a bowl of rice. Garnish with scallions and cashews.
This recipe is definitely a keeper. It was delicious! The cashews added a nice crunch. Next time, I might amp up the spice combination… but it was a great recipe! And very easy in the slow cooker, too.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!