I recently made a huge diet discovery… my body can tolerate goat cheese! There is some “guess and check” when it comes to having food allergies and discovering what your body can and cannot tolerate. Having a dairy allergy means that I avoid dairy, but goat milk is not often considered a traditional “dairy” in our diet. So, I did some “guess and check” and tried goat cheese on a salad… no reaction. Just to be sure, I tried it again and still had success! This has re-opened several foods to me and I am eager to see what I can do with this rediscovered food.
To celebrate, my mom made a pasta side dish with goat cheese on top (among other wonderful flavors). With this pasta base, there are so many possibilities… pair it with fish (as we did), chicken, pork, or even as a cold pasta salad. The flavors are bold and delicious!
Walnut and Goat Cheese Pasta
- one box of your favorite gluten free pasta, reserving one cup of the pasta water
- one onion
- one half cup chopped walnuts
- one jar roasted red pepper, drained and cut into small pieces (or you can roast your own and chop)
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- one quarter cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- one quarter cup goat cheese
- rosemary, for garnish
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the onion. Add it to a saute pan with the olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Put over low heat, stirring until it caramelizes.
- Toast the chopped walnuts in another saute pan, just for a few minutes over low heat. Just to bring out some flavor.
- When the pasta is done cooking and is drained, add the reserved pasta water, caramelized onion, chopped red pepper, toasted walnuts, and crushed red pepper. Fold to combine.
- Plate the pasta, and add the parsley, lemon zest, and goat cheese on top.
- Garnish with rosemary and plate with your favorite protein!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
4 responses to “Walnut and Goat Cheese Pasta”
That looks good what great marriage between the walnut and the goat cheese with pasta I like that.
It’s a great combo! Glad you like it.
I have to avoid dairy too, but then discovered goat milk, cheese, and yogurt. I also have had sheep cheese with no problem…maybe worth a try?
Sheep cheese! Great idea to try! Thanks. Glad you enjoy.