Always looking for new lunch recipes to bring to school each day, I was craving some Mexican flavor. So, I combined the traditional elements of rice, beans, and spice in this rice recipe. It’s easy to make, easy to store, and easy to put together each morning before school.
- 1 cup of rice, cooked by package directions
- juice of one lime
- 3-4 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 chicken breast, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 green peppers, chopped into bite sized pieces
- one half of an onion, chopped into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp. poultry seasoning
- 2 cans drained black beans
- one avocado and guacamole mix
- salsa, for topping
- Cook the rice, according to package directions.
- When the rice is cooked, add the chopped cilantro and juice of one lime. Let marinate while the next few steps cook.
- In a large saute pan, add the olive oil, chopped peppers, onions, and chicken. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning (mine is a mix of paprika, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder) and cook on medium heat, covered, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the rice mixture to the chicken mixture, and add drained beans.
- Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Make guacamole by combining the avocados, chopped and mashed, with the guacamole mix.
- Top Dirty Rice with guacamole and salsa and enjoy!
Happy Allergy Free Eating! Ole!