Looking for simple dinners this week to ease back into the swing of things after the holiday, I baked a couple turkey breasts and wanted a smokey side to go with them. So I made Simple Roasted Broccoli, flavored with 4 spices. My smokey spice choices were a good combination with the turkey, and it was so easy to make!
Simple Roasted Broccoli
- one head of broccoli
- olive oil for misting/drizzling, about 1 tbsp.
- 1 tsp. smoked sea salt
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Cut the stems off of the broccoli so only the florets remain.
- Spread out the broccoli florets on a cookie sheet.
- Mist the broccoli with olive oil, or drizzle. (I like misting because it lessens how much you use, and it spreads evenly.)
- Sprinkle the smoked sea salt, lemon pepper, smoked paprika, and chili powder over the florets.
- Bake at 375 degrees, about 20 minutes, until the florets start to brown and crisp.
- Serve hot.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
Who doesn’t love a good soup when the fall weather comes?! There are so many varieties, and one of my favorites is butternut squash. I don’t think I have ever made a vegetable soup from the actual raw veggie, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I bought 2 medium sized butternut squash from my local grocer, did some cooking and mashing and spicing… and out came soup! It was pretty fulfilling to see it come to life from start to finish!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 medium sized butternut squash
- 5 carrots
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- one half of an onion, chopped into small pieces
- 3 tbsp. vegan butter
- one half cup apple cider
- 4-5 cups gluten free chicken broth (or more if you like it more soupy)
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 3 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. dairy free creamer or sour cream
- Cut the butternut squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and peel the carrots.
- Place the squash and carrots on a baking sheet, sprinkled with salt and pepper. Cook at 375 degrees for 60-90 minutes, until tender.
- Let the squash and carrots cool, about 30 minutes.
- Chop the carrots into small pieces, and scoop out the flesh of the squash, leaving the skin behind. Add to a large pot.
- Add chopped onions, butter, apple cider, chicken broth, garlic salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and use a mixer to combine. I use a hand mixer… but you could also add them to a food processor and get the same results.
- Beat on high until well blended and smooth… to your soup texture liking!
- Serve with a swirl of dairy free creamer or sour cream, and salt and pepper.
Happy Allergy Free Ssssslurping!