When I feel like something hearty for dinner, I tend to think of rice and pasta. Risotto is a great alternative to pasta and is gluten free because it is really a rice. And, you can come up with so many different variations! This week, I sautéed a lemon pepper chicken breast and put it over risotto mixed with peas and lemon zest. It was a great hearty winter meal, and gave great leftovers.
Lemon Pepper Chicken over Pea Risotto
- 1 cup risotto rice, cooked according to package directions
- 3 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. minced shallots
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 more tbsp. vegan butter
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- one half cup white wine
- 3 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. lemon pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- a pinch more fresh parsley and lemon zest for garnish
- In a large pan, combine the vegan butter and minced shallot. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the risotto rice and sauté for 2 minutes.
- According to package directions, slowly add the gluten free chicken broth, one half cup at a time, continuing to stir until all of the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- When the risotto rice has just a few minutes left to cook, add the frozen peas and lemon zest. Continue to stir until done.
- While the risotto is cooking, put the chicken breasts in another sauté pan with 2 tbsp. vegan butter. Saute each side for 2 minutes, just until each side is browned.
- Add the lemon juice, white wine, parsley, lemon pepper, and salt. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. If you notice the chicken starting to get dry, add more wine or gluten free chicken broth
- Serve chicken over lemon pea risotto, garnish with fresh parsley and lemon zest and enjoy!
Happy allergy free eating!