May 7, 2013 · 8:11 pm
I recently discovered a turkey bacon at Whole Foods that has 35 calories a slice, and has no nitrates or hormones… and it is nice and thick! So I had to figure out how to use this great find in my lunches last week. So here goes the Bean, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad! This recipe is enough to make a few salads.
Bean, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad
- salad lettuce (about half a bag, washed)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 5-6 slices turkey bacon
- one can white beans, drained
- one half cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- 1 tbsp. herbed mayo (or substitute)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Slice the bacon into small pieces and sauté in a large skillet over medium heat, until desired crispiness.
- Drain the white beans.
- In a large bowl, plate 2 handfuls salad lettuce and add a handful of cherry tomatoes, about a quarter cup sauted bacon, two teaspoons crumbled blue cheese, and a quarter cup drained white beans.
- In a salad dressing shaker, combine and shake the mayo, olive oil, white vinegar, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and chili powder.
- Top salad with dressing and enjoy!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
April 16, 2013 · 6:10 pm
After a few years, I have gotten to know my allergies pretty well. I know that I am very sensitive to gluten and that I won’t risk it for any meal. Dairy, on the other hand, I push around sometimes, but only with cheese. I have found there just is no good enough substitute for cheese. I have also heard that hard cheeses are easier for those with a dairy allergy to digest. So, I know that goat cheese and I are friends… and this week I tried blue cheese. In a small amount, we got along… and the intestinal side effects I could deal with. So, here is a recipe for a great cobb salad that I made this week! This recipe makes about 4 good sized salads.
Potato Cobb Salad
- 8 tiny white potatoes, cut into sixths
- 6-8 slices turkey bacon, cut into small pieces
- one fourth cup blue cheese crumbles
- one can corn niblets, drained
- 4 cups lettuce
- one small package cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. red onion, very finely diced
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. lemon pepper
- Cut the potatoes into sixths and steam them. Steam just until fork tender, but not mushy.
- Drain the can of corn niblets.
- In a medium sauté the turkey bacon until desired crispness.
- On a plate, arrange lettuce and top with cherry tomatoes, potatoes, corn, turkey bacon, and blue cheese crumbles.
- To make Honey Dijon dressing, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, red onion, Dijon mustard, honey, and lemon pepper until combined. Pour over the salad.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!