I usually make my lunches for the week on Sundays, and usually make the same thing for the entire week. I can put it together in the morning and don’t have to think about it because the prep work is already done. This week, I made a BBQ Tofu Salad and it was SO good! If you don’t like tofu, you could easily make this recipe with chicken. It could also make for a healthy weeknight dinner.
BBQ Tofu Salad
- one package of cubed tofu, drained
- 4 tbsp. your favorite BBQ sauce + 1 tbsp. for dressing
- one can black beans, drained
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- juice of one lime + 2 tsp. for dressing
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- 5 plum tomatoes (1 for each salad)
- one package of spring lettuce mix with herbs (more than enough for whole week)
- avocado slices (optional)
- Drain the tofu very well.
- In a large sauté pan, add the tofu and 4 tbsp. of your favorite BBQ sauce. Saute the tofu over medium heat in the BBQ sauce until it starts to get crispy.
- In another large sauté pan, add the drained black beans and corn. Add the lime juice, chili powder, and lime zest. Stir the corn and beans on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- To make each salad, make a large bed of lettuce. Top with corn and bean mixture, BBQ tofu, sliced tomato, and sliced avocado (if you wish). Dress with extra 1 tbsp. of BBQ sauce and extra 2 tsp. lime juice.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a sports fan… like, I-can’t-tell-which-way-each-team-is-running type of fan. But that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate some game day food. Chicken tenders are usually at the top of most game day lists, so I tried my own allergy free Honey BBQ Chicken Tenders. Success! Sweet, spicy, tender, and moderately healthy without any frying.
Honey BBQ Chicken Tenders
- 6-8 chicken tenders
- cooking spray
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp. honey
- one half tbsp. molasses
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- In an oven safe saute pan sprayed with cooking spray, begin to sear the chicken tenders on medium heat. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. each paprika, cumin, and salt and pepper. Flip after 3 minutes and sear the other side.
- Put the tenders in the oven at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, until done.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, add the dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire sauce, honey, molasses, brown sugar, tomato paste, and rest of the paprika and cumin.
- Let the sauce bubble, but not boil over. Stir with a whisk every few minutes until the chicken is done. Be sure to stir well to make sure the sugar dissolves.
- Serve the chicken tenders smothered with sauce!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!