I got this hilarious (cook)book from a friend, called “Fifty Shades of Chicken.”
It is a parody on “Fifty Shades of Grey,” but is all about chicken. It takes the tone of the original book, but if you read closely, actually has chicken recipes in it, too! It is very funny to read…spices up your time in the kitchen. I recently made a recipe out of it that was delicious, called Roasted Chicken Thighs with Sweet and Sour Onions. I made a few personal changes (like using half the chicken and onion amounts, using chicken broth instead of wine, and using ground cinnamon instead of a cinnamon stick), but loved the overall flavor. I will definitely make this again.
Roasted Chicken Thighs with Sweet and Sour Onions
- one half pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- one half of a sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. (vegan) butter
- (I added 1 tsp. hot honey mustard, too)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss the chicken with the garlic, salt, and pepper.
- In a saucepan, simmer the onion, chicken broth, bay leaf, cinnamon about 15-20 minutes, until liquid has almost evaporated.
- Add the honey and butter (and hot honey mustard).
- Spoon the mixture over the chicken and bake for 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. (Although next time, I would probably simmer the chicken in the onion mixture over the stove, covering with a lid until done.)
Happy Allergy Free Eating… and Reading!