Oh what a treat this meal was! I was dreaming of a sweet and salty chicken dish, and this came together in my mind. I bought good quality turkey bacon which came in thick slices and made the dish that much more hearty. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Chicken with Bacon and Honey Caramelized Onions
- 4 slices good quality turkey bacon
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- one half of an onion, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- pinch of regular salt
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. honey
- Season the chicken breasts with pepper and garlic salt.
- Wrap two pieces of turkey bacon around each chicken breast.
- Bake at 375 degrees about 30 minutes, until chicken cooked through.
- While the chicken is baking, caramelize the onions. Put the olive oil in a sauté pan and heat on medium for 1 minute.
- Add the onion rounds and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the 2 tbsp. water and honey to the onions and cover. Let simmer of medium-low heat, periodically stirring.
- Simmer onions for about 15-20 minutes, until soft and brown (caramelized).
- Place caramelized onions on top of cooked chicken and serve hot!
Happy allergy free eating!