When my mom makes dinner, she almost always makes a salad to go with the meal. A salad adds veggie servings and bulks up the meal to make you feel fuller. She is always so creative with her salads, and this one was one of my favorites when I went visiting a couple weeks ago. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Roasted Pear Salad
- 4 Anjou pears
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 small bunch trimmed watercress, rinsed & dried
- 1 small package mixed salad greens, rinsed & dried
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- ½ cup toasted pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Peel pears, remove cores and slice pears into fourths.
- Place slices in a large bowl and toss with the melted butter and sugar.
- Spread the slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast about @10 minutes. Flip each slice over and roast @5 minutes longer. Watch so pears don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Whisk vinegar, shallot, oil, and salt&pepper to taste.
- Combine watercress and salad greens in a large serving bowl. Gently toss with vinaigrette.
- To toast pecans: Place pecan halves in dry small skillet over medium heat. Shaking pan occasionally, toast for @1 or 2 minutes, until fragrant, careful not to burn pecans.
- Plate onto salad plates and top with pears, pecans and blue cheese.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!