I was determined to make a gingerbread recipe for the holidays, and make it gluten and dairy free. I tried this recipe twice! But the second time around really was the charm. I added walnuts and chocolate chips to the gingerbread for something different, so feel free to add your favorite cookie toppings!
Chocolate Chip and Walnut Gingerbread Bars
- 6 tbsp. softened vegan butter
- two thirds cup brown sugar
- three quarters cup white sugar
- one third cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups gluten free flour (preferably one that has xantham gum in it)
- one half tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 4 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts
- one half cup vegan chocolate chips (I used mini ones)
- cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat on low for one minute until combined.
- Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla. Beat another minute on low until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon. Beat again on low for one minute until combined.
- Add the walnuts and chocolate chips and stir them in with a spoon to incorporate.
- In an 8 by 13 inch greased baking pan, pour the cookie bar mixture. Spread evenly in the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, just until edges starts to brown slightly.
- Let cool, and cut into bars.
Happy Allergy Free Dessert-ing!