Looking for something different? How about this different flavor combination with traditional meatballs? Unique, delicious, smokey, deeply flavored… I could go on. But you really need to taste them to believe how great these Mediterranean Meatballs are!
- 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp parsley
- salt/pepper to taste
- one 28 ounce can of peeled whole Italian plum tomatoes plus juice (San Marzano preferred)
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- In food processor pulse tomatoes and juice until smooth.
- Pour into lidded tagine or lidded large saute pan.
- Stir in olive oil, one minced garlic clove, half of the parsley, 1/4 tsp each of cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and salt/pepper to taste.
- Cook over low heat until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- In food processor (no need to rinse) add onion, one garlic clove, half of the parsley and pulse until chopped.
- Add meat and 1/4 tsp each of cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and salt/pepper to taste. Pulse until smooth.
- Roll mixture into balls, about 1 to 2 inches in diameter.
- Gently place the meatballs into the tomato sauce, cover and cook over low heat until meatballs are cooked through, about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Serve over rice, or rice with some saffron blended in.