The corn tortilla is a small round mystery to me. I love going out for Mexican food because corn tortillas are gluten free. In restaurants, the corn tortillas are an easy alternative to flour ones. But at home, I find that they just fall apart. So, I attempted one dish served two different ways to see which was best for the corn tortilla. Turns out, the bowl shape was best!
Crockpot Burrito Bowls
- one pound chicken tenderloins
- one half of an onion, chopped
- 2 peppers chopped, whichever colors are your favorite
- 4 tbsp. green verde sauce (I used a jar version found in the ethnic food section), plus about 2 tbsp. more for dressing
- 3 tsp. cumin
- one bag of frozen corn
- one can of black beans, drained
- juice of one lime
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- In the crockpot, put the chicken, onion, peppers, 1 tsp. cumin, and 4 tbsp. green verde sauce.
- Cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- When the chicken is done, take it out of the crockpot and shred with two forks.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, combine the corn, beans, 1 tsp. cumin, and lime juice. Cook just until heated through.
- To serve, you can wrap the chicken mixture in a corn tortilla with an extra sprinkle of cumin and red pepper, place over a bed of corn and beans, and spread green verde sauce on top. Or, you can line a bowl with a corn tortilla, place corn and beans in it with the chicken mixture on top, and then dress with green verde sauce and a sprinkle of cumin and red pepper.
In a wrap.
In a bowl.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!