As I get ready to move, I wanted to make a meal that would have leftovers I could grab in the middle of box packing and unpacking. So I made a hearty Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Risotto and it was delicious! I used kielbasa sausage for a smoky flavor, and a few different peppers for a pop of color. Hope you enjoy… and I will be back in a couple of weeks or so once these boxes start moving and I can cook again!
Sausage, Pepper, and Onion Risotto
- 1 cup of risotto rice, cooked according to package directions (you will need 3 cups broth)
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- one half of an onion
- one half tsp. sugar
- one yellow pepper, green pepper, orange pepper, chopped
- one (lite) kielbasa link, about 1 lb.
- Cook the risotto rice according to package directions. I toast the rice first in the pan for just a minute, then add salt and pepper. Add the broth about a half cup at a time over low-medium heat, until it is all absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the onion.
- Saute the onion in a pan with 1 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add the sugar on top, and stir over low heat until the onion starts to caramelize.
- When the onion is just about cooked, add the chopped peppers and other 1 tbsp. butter. Continue to saute.
- When the peppers are just about cooked through, cut the kielbasa into bite sized pieces and add to the peppers and onions.
- Saute just until the kielbasa is heated. (I use the fully cooked links, so I don’t have to worry about waiting for them to cook through.)
- Add the cooked risotto and stir.
- Serve hot.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!