While fresh basil is in season, I try to use it in any dish I can. Instead of making the usual pesto with fresh basil, I tossed pasta with some of the traditional pesto ingredients for a summer fresh dish. Flavorful and fresh, as well as super easy to make on a hot summer night!
Inside Out Pesto
- half of a bag of gluten free pasta (I used rice pasta)
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 tbsp. soy creamer
- one quarter cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 5-6 basil leaves, cut into small strips
- one half cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 tbsp. goat cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, toast the crushed walnuts over a saute pan and medium heat, just for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with the vegan butter and soy creamer.
- Plate the pasta.
- Sprinkle some of the lemon zest, garlic, basil strips, grape tomatoes, goat cheese, walnuts, and salt and pepper.
- Toss and serve hot.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!