While in the kitchen at school the other day, a colleague proudly presented his lunch… a gluten and dairy free minestrone soup! Of course, I took a look and had to ask how he made it. He gladly is sharing the recipe for all of you! It looked delicious, smelled scrumptious, and served for several meals. Hope you enjoy! Thanks Robert🙂
- 2tsp. olive oil
- 1 zucchini squash
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 16-oz portabella mushrooms
- 2 heads kale [parboiled – kale should be soaked, ripped into pieces, and parboiled to make more tender]
- 16-oz can garbanzo beans
- 16-oz can black beans
- 16-oz can pinto beans
- 16-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 32-oz bottle Reduced Sodium V8
- 1 bunch fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro [optional]
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne [optional]
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin [optional]
- In a stockpot at medium-high heat, sauté olive oil, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, pepper, mushrooms, and garlic.
- When the vegetables soften, add the kale, beans, and crushed tomatoes.
- Add the V8 slowly, in several additions. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and other optional spices.
- Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.