Knowing that big meals often come with the holiday season, I have been trying to make some light meals to maintain some sort of balance. This past week, I made a very filling but lightly flavored salad. It has easy and fresh ingredients. And, if you don’t like tofu, you could easily use grilled or baked chicken pieces. The recipe and ingredients here are enough for several days of salads!
Apple, Celery, Grape, and Honey Tofu Salad
- 1 head romaine, chopped
- 8 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 pound of red grapes, sliced in half
- 4 green apples, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 tbsp chopped scallions
- 1 package diced firm tofu (or dice a block yourself)
- cooking spray
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. apple cider
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the diced tofu and place the pieces in between two dish towels to dry, about 30 minutes.
- Chop all your salad produce- the lettuce, celery, grapes, apples, and scallions.
- In a large skillet lined with cooking spray and over medium heat, place the dried tofu.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp. honey and the sesame seeds over the tofu.
- Stir the tofu every 4 minutes, making sure to cook all sides evenly. You will know that the tofu is done when it starts to brown to your liking.
- When the tofu is done cooking, assemble the salads by plating the lettuce and adding a handful each of celery, grapes, and apples. Top with a handful of tofu and a pinch of scallions.
- For the dressing, combine 2 tbsp. honey with the olive oil, white wine vinegar, apple cider, and salt and pepper. Shake well.
- Pour 2-3 tbsp. of dressing over your salad.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!