Creamed spinach is one of my favorite side dishes. I know, probably one of the least popular, but I love it (almost as much as beets!). Actually, I like just plain old sautéed spinach, too. If you don’t like creamed spinach as much as I do, here is a way to dress it up a bit… add cream and bacon! Who couldn’t love creamed spinach with some bacon in it?
Bacon Creamed Spinach
- 2 pieces bacon (I like Applegate Farms turkey bacon)
- 2 tbsp. chopped shallot
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- one and one quarter cup coconut (or other dairy free) creamer
- 1 tbsp. gluten free flour
- 3 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- one half tsp. cinnamon
- Chop the shallot and sauté in a pan with the olive oil. Saute just for a minute or two.
- Chop the bacon into smaller than bite sized pieces.
- Saute the bacon with the shallot. Add the vegan butter. Saute until the bacon gets nice and crispy.
- Add the creamer and gluten free flour and stir for a couple of minutes to thicken.
- Add the spinach and continue to stir.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Stir until spinach is heated through.
- Serve hot!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!