I love potato salad in the summer, but wanted to make a healthier version that still had summer flavor. So, I used sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes and a vinegar based dressing instead of mayo. I was really happy with how this turned out! I’ll definitely make it again.
Smokey Sweet Potato Salad
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 5-6 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon)
- 4 tbsp. honey mustard
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- one half tsp. coriander
- salt and pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them lengthwise into quarters or fifths. Then cut into bite sized pieces.
- Roast the sweet potato pieces with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until the sweets are tender when pierced with a fork (but not mushy).
- Slice the bacon into small bite sized pieces. Saute the bacon pieces on medium heat until crispy.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes and bacon.
- Make the dressing by adding the honey mustard, white wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, paprika, and coriander to a shaker or bowl. Shake or stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and bacon. Toss lightly to coat.
- Let cool in the fridge for a couple hours.
- Top with scallions and serve.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!