In the summertime, I enjoy making pesto with fresh basil. Basil is available this time of year, but it is not as good as it is in the summer… so I made Spring Pesto. Spring Pesto uses a basil base, but other in season ingredients to boost its flavor. It is very rich and easy to make.
- 1 cup basil leaves
- one quarter cup chopped walnuts
- one half of an avocado
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- one quarter cup non dairy creamer
- one half tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Chop on high until well blended.
Normally, pesto is served on pasta. Instead, I stuffed chicken breasts with red peppers and smothered them with the pesto. Then I baked them at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until done. Delicious!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!