One of my favorite meals is a good steak and creamed spinach. To me, there is something so comforting about creamed spinach… except for the word “cream” to someone who has a dairy allergy! So of course I found it a personal mission to be able to make creamed spinach in a dairy free version. This recipe is very tasty, simple, and quick.
Simple Creamed Spinach
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 tbsp. chopped shallot
- 2 and one quarter cups of your favorite non dairy creamer (I use the Silk brand)
- one half cup of your favorite gluten free flour
- one half bag frozen spinach
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a deep saute pan on medium heat, add the butter and shallot. Stir a few times just to soften the shallot.
- After just a couple minutes, add the creamer and flour. Stir well to combine, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the frozen spinach. Stir and add the nutmeg and salt and pepper.
- Cover and let it continue to cook, stirring every few minutes until the spinach is creamy and hot.
- Serve with your favorite steak!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!