With the spring weather coming (or already here?), you can start to see the increase in vibrantly colored vegetables available. To someone who’s diet is half fruits and vegetables, this excites me! So this week I made full use of the vegetable section at the grocery store, and made a healthy, vegetarian, and pumped up pasta primavera.
Pumped Up Pasta Primavera
- 2 zucchini, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 yellow squash, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 red pepper, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 handfuls green beans, ends cut off and beans cut in half
- 1 package chopped mushrooms
- 2 handfuls snap peas, ends cut off
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 large basil leaves
- juice of one half of a lemon, plus a little rind
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. lemon pepper
- half package of gluten free pasta
- 3 tbsp. vegan butter
- 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute the chopped zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, and green beans with olive oil, sea salt, lemon pepper, and lemon juice.
- Saute until barely tender (about 7 minutes), stirring every few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, snap peas, lemon rind, rosemary, and basil.
- Saute for another 5 minutes, until vegetables are crisp but tender. Remove the rosemary and basil when done cooking.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
- When the pasta is done and drained, put it back in the pan with the butter and parsley. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add the vegetables and stir until combined.
- Serve hot, with chopped chives and salt and pepper on top.
I love this recipe because there are so many variations and you can really make it your own… choose your favorite vegetables, spices, protein sources. Hope you enjoy!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!