First ingredient in bottled barbecue sauce: high fructose corn syrup. If I am what I eat, I certainly don’t want to be a processed sugar. If I’m going to have sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, it’s going to be one I make and can feel good about. Here’s how to make homemade pulled chicken in the crockpot.
- 3-4 chicken breasts or 9-12 chicken tenderloins
- one quarter cup natural ketchup
- one half cut cider vinegar
- one quarter cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- one half of an onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. each chili powder, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin, salt
- In a crockpot, put 3-4 chicken breasts or 9-12 tenderloins.
- Add ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, olive oil, and chopped onion.
- For seasoning, add a few shakes of chili powder, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt (about 1 tsp. each).
- Turn crockpot on low and cook 4-5 hours.
- When cooked, use two forks to pull the meat apart into shreds.
- Serve on a sandwich or in a bowl.
(Pulled chicken goes well with corn on the cob and fresh orange juice and ginger shmear, just like chili lime shmear. Yum!)
Happy Allergy Free Eating!