Using the crockpot is a great way to combine flavorful ingredients and minimal effort. I created this recipe for Lemon Pepper Crockpot Chicken, but may change a few things when I do it again… suggestions at the bottom.
Lemon Pepper Crockpot Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts (although thighs would probably be better)
- one cup dry white wine
- 2 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 sprigs each of fresh rosemary and thyme (although dried would be fine, too)
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp. lemon pepper
- 2 cups rice
- one half package frozen peas
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 more tbsp. lemon pepper
- Combine the chicken, wine, broth, mustard, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and 3 tbsp. lemon pepper in the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- When the chicken is almost done, cook 2 cups rice according to package directions.
- When the rice is just about done, add the frozen peas. Cover and continue to simmer until the peas warm up and the rice is fully cooked.
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the oil, vinegar, honey, and rest of the lemon pepper.
- Serve the chicken over the rice, and drizzle the vinaigrette on top.
The few changes that I would make would be to use chicken thighs instead of breasts because they stay juicier for longer. I would also not cook it for more than 8 hours, and not let it sit as long as I did, which was a few hours. Nothing is worse than dry chicken! Also, in this recipe, I used peas… which was not my original idea. I did use broccoli, but it didn’t hold up in the crockpot and I had to improvise with frozen peas I had on hand!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!