Here are some meatballs and sauce perfect for any night of the week!
Mom’s Simply Fantastic Sauce
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes (Mom actually likes San Marzano tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- one half of an onion, chopped into fine pieces
- 3 tbsp. chopped basil (or 1 tbsp. dried)
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp. pasta water (added at the end)
- Combine all ingredients (except pasta water) in a large roasting pan.
- Roast at 375 degrees for at least one hour.
- Add 2 tbsp. pasta water at end to thicken.
- This will give a chunky sauce. Pulse with a blender or hand mixer if you want a smoother sauce.
- Serve over pasta and meatballs.
Ketchup and Mustard Meatballs
- 1.25 pounds ground meat (I used a beef and pork mix)
- one third cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 egg (or equivalent)
- 2 tbsp. chopped dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together with hands.
- Using small pieces of mixture, roll into bite sized balls.
- Place balls into a pyrex dish, leaving space in between each ball. About 11-13 will fit.
- Microwave on high 5-6 minutes, until cooked through. (This eliminates frying… or you can cook them in the sauce, or on a baking sheet)
- Repeat until all mixture is used up.
- Serve with Mom’s Sauce and gluten free pasta.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!