I recently got to visit my parents in NC… where the weather was nicer than this extended Northeast winter, and my mom’s food was just as perfect! She really has a knack for beyond delicious cooking, and takes my gluten and dairy allergies with ease. Here is one recipe I just had to share from her kitchen!
Italian Spinach with Pine Nuts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 6 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (soaked till soft then drained)
- In large saute pan, heat the olive oil.
- Add shallot and saute till soft over low heat, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, if using, and saute about 1 minute.
- Add pine nuts and saute about 1 minute.
- Add spinach, vinegar, butter, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Stir to combine ingredients and saute covered till spinach is wilted and dark green. If needed, raise heat to medium high to reduce any excess water from the spinach.
- Stir in raisins before serving.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!