I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend! I know that I certainly did, with my favorite foods and people. Even though food holidays can be tough, I have learned to make smart food choices, and realize that I do actually have choices. Even though my Thanksgiving plate didn’t look like everyone else’s, that didn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy it! I had turkey and root vegetables, with my favorite starter of shrimp cocktail! Nothing too shabby about that.
This year, my family and I went out to eat for Thanksgiving. Although eating out in a restaurant can be tough, I still ended up with a delicious meal. But, because I knew I wouldn’t be able to have my all time favorite Thanksgiving food, stuffing, my mom made me a gluten free batch to have in my fridge! Now I can enjoy my favorite stuffing recipe for a few more meals than just last Thursday evening…
Mom’s Apple, Celery, and Sausage Stuffing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery, chopped
- olive oil for sauteing
- 2-3 chicken apple sausage links, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 green apples, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- 2 tbsp. thyme
- 1 small jar of chestnuts, chopped
- 1 package of gluten free stuffing
- 2-3 tbsp. vegan butter
- 3 cups gluten free chicken broth
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a large pan coated with olive oil, add onion and celery. Stir for a few minutes until they start to get tender.
- Add the sausage and apple bites, stirring to let the flavors mix and mingle.
- When the fruit and veggies start to really tenderize, and the sausage starts to cook, add the parsley, thyme, chestnuts, and stuffing bits. Stir together to incorporate.
- Add vegan butter pads on top and pour in chicken broth.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes, until everything cooks through.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve!
Well… I’m off to enjoy the best part of Thanksgiving… leftovers! Happy Allergy Free Eating.