I love Mexican flavors and cooking, but flour tortillas and cheese and sour cream are my worst enemies. So, to bring some of my favorite Mexican flavors into my kitchen, I made Drunken Stuffed Peppers… a little tequila and lime flavoring definitely did the trick!
- 3 large green peppers
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for misting
- 1 lb. ground sirloin (hamburger) meat
- one half of an onion, chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes with spicy chilies in them
- 2 shots tequila
- juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- Cut the peppers in half, lengthwise, so they look like bowls.
- Lay the peppers on a large cookie sheet and spray lightly with oil. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until fork tender.
- In a large saute pan coated with cooking spray, add the meat and chopped onion. Stir it for a few minutes until the meat starts to brown.
- Add both cans of spicy chopped tomatoes, tequila, lime juice, cumin, and paprika.
- Stir for a few more minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Scoop the meat into the pepper bowls and broil for a few minutes. You may need to drain some of the liquid from the meat or use a slotted spoon.
- Serve hot… and with a margarita!
Later in the week, I even used the filling on top of a salad with some corn and spicy dressing!
Happy Allergy Free Eating!