I was determined this week to revise and update the Bacon and Cherry Broccoli Salad this week. I didn’t steam the broccoli, added sugar to the dressing, used real bacon instead of turkey bacon, and chopped the cherries into small pieces. Big differences! Here is the improved and updated recipe. A keeper for sure!
Bacon and Cherry Broccoli
- two heads of broccoli
- 5-6 slices bacon
- one quarter of a red onion
- one cup dried cherries
- 4 tbsp. (vegan) mayo
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Chop the broccoli so the stems are removed and only small heads remain. They should be bite sized heads.
- Slice the bacon into small bite sized pieces. Saute the bacon over medium heat about 5-8 minutes, until crispy but not burnt. Drain the fat, or spoon the bacon pieces into a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Chop the red onion into very small, fine pieces.
- Chop the dried cherries into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, add the broccoli, bacon, onion, and cherries.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayo, red wine vinegar, sugar, and thyme. Combine well.
- Pour the mayo mixture over the broccoli mixture and toss to combine.
New and improved!