I had the luxury of a day off this week and a long weekend, so I spent some time in the kitchen preparing not only dinner and lunch, but also a fun baked good. I have never made cornbread gluten free, so I took a chance at that, and added some sweet dried cranberries for a twist. Delicious! A great complement to a weekend breakfast or a sweet afternoon snack.
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- one quarter cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. xantham gum, if not included in the flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- one quarter cup oil (I used a canola/vegetable combo)
- one cup coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Combine all ingredients (up until the cranberries) in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the cranberries and stir a few times to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased bread pan (I used 8×8).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, just until top starts to brown.
- Serve plain, or with a smear of vegan butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
Happy Allergy Free Eating!